niedziela, 12 października 2014

Can you feel the adventure?

It was dark when I first arrived in Durham. I was a bit confused and super tired but still running on adrenaline after a day spent mostly on transferring  from one means of transport to another. Fortunately, my college international frep (freshers’ representative) picked me up from the train station and helped with the suitcases. We stopped for a moment in a small observation deck by the train station. From there, for the first time,  I could see Durham with the castle and the cathedral. It was beautiful. I took my first deep breath of the place that was going to be my new home for the next half a year and, guess what, it was sweet! Somehow, it smelled completely different than the air in Poland. Then, I remembered my first day as an au pair in the USA. The air had the same “air” about it. So maybe, just maybe that’s  the scent of A NEW ADVENTURE. If so, am ready to embrace it!
The Viaduct



I’ve been assigned a place in St. John’s college, even though I’m a “liver-out” and an Erasmus student. Not all British universities have collegiate system, I’ve been told, but luckily mine does. It helps freshers (new students) to dive into their university experience. During freshers week, our amazing freps took such good care of us international students that we didn’t even have time to struggle to fit in as we already were a part of the community. For the first few days all I did was running around Durham; my house, the college and my department, from one themed party in Klute (acclaimed the worst club in the UK, yet it was actually fun!) to another in the college bar. I love dressing up so I gladly jumped in on a chance to wear the 20s dress, the 60th outfit and a Greek toga for the fancy dress parties. At the end of the week, I finally realised why I am so tired. Getting lost and getting to know Durham, it already felt like I had joined hillwalking society.

Toga party in the college
Had to change into flat shoes, 

Durham is too hilly to walk in high hills. 

Not to mention solving crimes and chasing villains 
what I am coincidentally doing on this picture. 



My first morning in Durham, I decided to go for a walk. It turns out I live almost in the heart of the town in the, so called, Viaduct area, named after the tall, ancient-looking construction towering over the whole “village”. Walking down the road, suddenly I found myself on a beautiful little bridge, and when I finally raised my eyes focused mainly on avoiding the puddles, there they were, the castle and the cathedral looking at me from up close, inviting to come inside. And so I did. Couple days after, I donned my brand new, yet second-handed, gown and marched to the Cathedral for my University graduation. And just like this, within less than an hour, my dream finally came true. I became a student of Durham University, ready to study Shakespeare and Orwell, immerse in the culture and language that I love, see places and make friends.

Rowing towards a new adventure:)



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz